Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Gallery of Drinks 4

This is a beauty.
Its color is derived from the particular types of liquor I use.
A Margarita on the rocks with salt ( but easy on the salt)
The first Margarita I ever had was a giant frozen one, in a dive in the West Village (still there!) called Tortilla Flats. It was the mid 80's. I was teaching first grade at the time and my teaching cohort was a west coast transpant. "What! You've never had a Margarita?"
I'm still a sucker for frozen "M"s but in a real restaurant or at home – I do rocks.
This one is particularly...not sweet.

2 oz. of Cuervo Gold ( I've always liked Steely Dan)
2 oz. of fresh lime juice
1 1/2 oz. of Mathilde orange liqueur
1/2 tsp of powdered sugar

Shake it all together and serve it in a tall glass (whose rim has been gently dipped in kosher salt) over mucho crushed ice.

(You're not getting any dietary pats-on-the-back from this drink, so forget the calorie count. On the other hand, you'll never get scurvy! "You Limey!")

3 comments:

Scrappy said...

Yum. I wish we were still coleagues. You could be my salvation.

Wisdom Weasel said...

I like bespoke margaritas but they always play merry hell with my stomach. How does this recipe rate on the rolaid scale?

mactechwitch said...

Uh-Oh.
Do you remember high school chemistry?
I'm afraid this drink has a Ph level of about 2.
A box of Arm and Hammer ought to be able to neutralize it.