Monday, December 19, 2005

The Anti-Vacation: Day One

I have a whole week (sort of) off. I have a few meetings at school and two January workshops to plan but other than that I'm free. Free to stress out about the things I need done by Saturday.
The week before Christmas is a real pain. No matter how much I try to get things done ahead of time I'm always down to the wire. Another thing that bugs me is that I have never been capable of choosing the "one perfect gift" so I always resort to purchasing several "not quite perfect" ones.
I thought that Unwellness's tip about the Things I Want website (which I immediately commanded my nearest and dearest to employ) was going to save my ass this year but only my son has the tech skills to do a decent job of putting together the list. My daughter 's list had no pictures (she couldn't figure that part out and she was composing it at work so she didn't want to spend the entire afternoon on it) She did manage to list an Apple Store link but when I clicked it– it had timed-out. The only hint as to what she meant to ask for was the price $299. Must be an iPod, right? Well, I hate to break the news to her but she'll really need a personal computer to go with that iPod. You know the old saying, "The shoemaker's children never have shoes."
My son's girlfriend's links (and her list is huge) didn't always go to the right items but before I realized that fact I had bought her the bottle of perfume I thought she wanted. Correct brand – Trish McEvoy– but wrong fragrance – Blackberry Vanilla instead of Snowdrop & Crystal Flowers. She's getting the Blackberry Vanilla because it's already here. I guess I could run out and purchase a case of Sugar Free Red Bull – that was on her list too (can you believe it?) She also had about seventeen pairs of boots. What do you suppose that's all about?
My mother let me know that she wanted a large jewelry box. I bought one, but our taste is so different I'll be shocked if she actually likes it.
My husband? He'd never do the list. But that's OK because I actually got him the perfect gift – a swiss coffee maker that works incredibly well. It makes a single cup of coffee, expresso, cappuchino at the press of a button and it uses (and grinds) regular beans so you don't have to use those detestable coffee pods. The only problem – I already gave it to him so there's nothing to put under the tree.
The baby's getting a table and chairs and a cashmere sweater.
His father, my son-in-law, I have NOTHING for him so the rest of the week I'll obsess about this. He did not do "the list" – I have no window into his aquisitive soul. I may resort to slippers and underwear. Pathetic.

No comments: