Sunday, October 22, 2006

For The Record


I needed the distance of a few days before I could even write about this.

In 1963 country singer, Skeeter Davis, had a big crossover-to-pop charts hit with her record The End of The World. If you can't remember what the tune is - click
That year the Mets were finishing only their second season of play, in The Polo Grounds, by the way, before moving to Shea. They won 51 games that season (and lost 111) It went like this for quite a while. They wouldn't outwin their losses until that magical 1969 season. That kind of season will come again, I hope.

My friend, Frank, a loyal Metsie, has reprised Skeeter's hit for us in his elegy to game 7.

The End of The World
Why does the sun go on shining?
Why does the sea rush to shore?
Don't they know it's the end of the world,
`cause the Mets ain't playin anymore?

Why does my heart go on beating?
Why do these eyes of mine cry?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?
It ended when the Cards broke the tie.

I wake up in the morning and I wonder why ev'rything's the same as it was.
I can't understand, no I can't understand, why Wright can't hit nuthin no
more!

Why do the Redbirds go on singing?
Why do the stars glow above?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?
It ended when that last pitch hit Molina's's glove.

No comments: