Friday, November 03, 2006

Think Pink


Steve Earle played his first Brooklyn gig ever on Wednesday night, at SouthPaw. The opening acts were Tim Easton and Allison Moorer (his wife) and Laura Cantrell (who lives in Brookyln and performed her first “proper gig” since giving birth five months ago.)

It was a very late night for me (a school night) I didn’t get to bed until 2:00 AM. It was totally worth it. They were all good and Steve Earle was in great form.
His theme was the upcoming election, the sorry state of politics in the USA and his general anti-war themes. Earle is a real connoisseur of historical blue grass and a self-proclaimed student of all things Civil War. This drove the performance and gave it weight. I was instantly transported backwards in time to the nineteen sixties and I loved it.
Some audience members walked out in a huff, though, when Earle started down this road,
“I hate it when Bush says we were attacked on September 11 because they hate our freedom. That’s not why we were attacked on September 11. We were attacked because we are friends of the House of Saud and friends of Israel.”
(Since this is Park Slope I’m thinking that offense was not taken to the Saud piece of that statement)
Tonight Danny Kalb is playing at Barbés. He’s really quite an old man now but I remember him playing with The Blues Project (which he founded) in the sixties. Live at The Café Au Go Go was one of the first LPs we bought once we owned a real stereo.
I’m on a sixties roll and I’m fine with that.

1 comment:

Mondale said...

shitdamn! i love Steve Earle.