Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Anti Vacation: Day Four




And Transit Strike: Day Three.

8:00 AM, Fifth Avenue, Park Slope.
A Volvo SUV carries seven passengers rather comfortably. Some of us have had the good fortune of hitching a ride in this neighbor's vehicle for the past three days. It's a different combination of travelers each day, which is interesting – a different pressing need to get into town. The flip side is that everyone has been able to forego work for all or part of at least one of the last three days. So how important is the work we all do? Obviously not so important that we HAVE to be there everyday.

Things to do today:
• Buy some food today as the family begins arriving tonight.
• Make sleeping arrangements for the guests. (I can't find my Aerobed. Did I leave it in the summer house?)
• Wrap the presents I have.
• Hang a sign for FedEx and UPS with delivery instructions for all the packages I'm expecting in the next 24 hours. The chances are about 1 in 10 that I'll actually be in the house when they arrive and both my doorbells are broken anyway. I've already made one painful trip this week to the UPS depot on Foster Avenue where I waited on a long line in a cold facility (needing to pee the entire time) for a package whose delivery I missed.
• Go to the bank and withdraw an obscene amount of cash to get through the next four days.

No comments: