Saturday, December 24, 2005

No, No, No, No, No

Day 5 and 6 of anti-vacation sort of epitomize my issues with the holiday season. Enforced cheer is oppressing me.
Yesterday was VERY bad.
Daughter Mactechwitch was trying to buy a house on my block. I would have loved this, really, to have baby Mactech around and so close all the time. We all spent the ENTIRE day yesterday on the phone with despicable real estate agents and kookie owner and owner children-in law.
Outcome: They decided they (the sellers) were "more comfortable" with the other bidder, a doctor, even though daughter Mactech's bid was higher and she probably has double the income of this "doctor." I don't get it?
This will be very hard for me when these "people" move on my block. God help them if they have children who attend The Burpie Cow Wow School.
I didn't get dinner on the table until very late and it wasn't very good. My heart wasn't in it. At the table, my mother talked for two hours about her white-water rafting trip in September. It's a good story but it's about the fourteenth time I've heard it. Didn't get to bed until midnight. Baby slept over but he was up at 4:00 AM. For two bleary hours we scuttled around the kitchen making a big mess and watching Sesame Street videos as he intoned "No no no no no..." to all of my suggestions in every voice over which he has command. I got him back to sleep at around 6:15 in my bed with a bottle and we both slept until 9:00 but I'm feeling unrested and restless.
Everyone is out shopping now and this is how I'm wasting my time...writing this.
Tonight the family rounds begin and probably the fifteenth and sixteenth telling of the rafting trip story. We decided on catering from La Villa – so no cooking tonight. Tomorrow I get up early to start the prep for the big feast.
I think I'll try to bake some cookies right now. Maybe that will be the antidote.

1 comment:

Listmaker said...

hey, i heard that later in the week, big bird will become tiny. how awesome is that?