Sunday, February 12, 2006

Snow is a Nice Diversion



If you're going to feel plowed under anyway, you may as well have a snowstorm. I'm still not able to dig out of the heavy weather that's hit me at work. The weekend's snowstorm is sweet icing on my bitter cake.

It's Sunday night and I'm sitting next to a pile of paperwork that I've shuffled about for the last 48 hours. I spent Thursday and Friday with our school database developer. We were trying to find and repair glitches and bugs and generally get the thing to function better. When he left I was left with one of those eye-squinting headaches. And while we did move forward, I slept the disturbed sleep of FileMaker Pro layouts and scripts.

I'm into my second week of Federal jury duty. Luckily...not picked but I have to call in every day 'til Friday. I admit, I just forgot to call last Thursday night. I'm sure to forget at least one night this week too.

These things worry me:
•I have to make a decision on a three year Internet access contract for school on Monday. I have not done my proper homework.
•I have to arrange for many thousands of dollars of network security projects in the next several weeks.
•The historical academic data has to be converted from the old database to the new so that transcripts can be accurately produced.
•The three-year tech plan I must produce in order for our school to qualify for discounted network services requires a survey of staff tech skills (where they are now) and a plan of where their skills will be in three years and how I propose to get them there.
•I have a meeting with red pants on Tuesday.

And there lies the theraputic nature of blogginng for just writing this down makes it seem not so bad. In fact almost laughable.

I will be working on the holidays next week and I won't be able to take the March break either. I am beyond self-pity on this as now I'm just worried that these pieces of time won't be enough to catch up on all this crap, and besides, my friends at school are going through really life-altering issues and what have I done for them?

I hope they can be strong. I hope they can be happy.

2 comments:

Wisdom Weasel said...

As a fellow filemaker sufferer and as someone awash in grant applications for servers and also embroiled in the process of winnowing bids for a radical website overhaul I'd just like to say, I feel your pain.

Briar said...

Ick. Sorry about all the tech crap. Don't worry about us. We will still be here with our life-altering issues come, oh, July or so. Maybe I'll see you at my birthday party and we'll buy each other drinks. I hope you make lots of amazingly rapid headway on these big issues/projects very soon.

I worry about you a bit. Take care of yourself and let us know what we can do to help.